Crop Dryer Technician Training 

Crop Dryer Technician Training 

The CDT Training Program gives industry professionals a Provincial Certification for installing and servicing propane and natural gas crop dryers. CEDA developed the course in 2005 in association with the Technical Standards and Safety Authority (TSSA).

Who needs the training? 

“No person shall perform the functions of a certificate holder without having first obtained a certificate from the director.” - Section 3 (1) of Regulation 215/01 under the Technical Standards & Safety Act, 2000.

  • Installation and Service technicians for natural gas and propane appliances whose input exceeds 400,000 B.T.U.s must complete an accredited training program of approximately 800 hours plus extensive field experience. 
  • Any technician installing appliances whose input is under 400,000 B.T.U.s requires 660 hours of training. 
  • To install or service propane appliances in mobile homes or R.V.s, technicians must successfully complete a 104-hour program. 
  • As of August 1, 2008, regulatory changes to TSSA Fuels Regulations requires CDT Certificate holders to have a minimum of one year of experience before safely activating equipment.   

The majority of crop dryers have input in excess of 400,000 B.T.U.s. The only two certificates that are acceptable are a G1 or CDT. In the unlikely event that the crop dryer has an input of 400,000 B.T.U.s or less, there are three acceptable certificates; G1, CDT, and G2.

Why did the training standards change? 

Virtually every sector of the fuel industry has changed its training and certification standards, including those who fill barbecue cylinders. 

The changes were implemented to ensure the same level of service and care is taken across the province.

To successfully receive certification, you must complete the program with a registered TSSA partner. CEEDA worked with TSSA to meet current industry standards that are specific to our industry.

Why isn’t my gas ticket or manufacturer training sufficient?

A great deal has changed in the industry ranging from new technology to flame safety and burners to changes in various Codes and Standards that the dryers are built and installed to. 

Unlike manufacturer-specific training, the CDT Training Program covers the agricultural dryer industry more broadly than one brand.

What does the CDT Certificate allow me to do? 

The certificate will be issued by TSSA under Regulation 215/01 of the Technical Standards and Safety Act, 2000 and is designated as the Crop Dryer Technician (CDT). 

The Crop Dryer Technician certificate will allow you to: 

  • Install, inspect, alter, purge, activate, repair, service or remove a natural gas or propane-fired agricultural crop drying appliance and the equipment and accessories essential to its operation.
    • This includes the initial light-up and subsequent testing of all valves, switches, safety controls, etc. 
  • When performing the functions described above, the person may do the following:
  1. Ensure the safe installation, utilization, maintenance, repair or removal of an agricultural crop dryer.
  2. Maintain service or replace a mechanical or electrical component or accessory forming part of the appliance or essential to its operation.
  3. Perform the tasks that are necessary to replace controls and components that form part of an appliance.
  4. Install, repair, service and maintain electrical wiring for natural gas or propane-fired corn dryers from an existing branch circuit containing over-current protection. The certificate holder is not permitted to install wiring back to the panel or perform any additional wiring unless he/she is also a certified electrician.
  5. Service and replace electrical switches, fuses and components that are directly related to the operation of the crop-drying appliance.
  6. Replace damaged sections of pipe/tubing that are located above ground and form part of the appliance manifold with pipe/tubing that has been prepared by an appropriate tradesperson.
  7. Clean and adjust the burners of a propane vaporizer.

What can’t I do with it?

The Crop Dryer Technician certificate will not allow you to: 

  1. Thread pipe/flare tubing.
    1. Due to time constraints cutting and threading pipe or flaring tubing are not included in the program. Therefore you are not allowed to thread pipe or flare tubing unless you are a certified tradesperson for that function.  
    2. You are allowed to replace a section of pipe/tubing that is part of the appliance manifold, provided it has been prepared by a certified tradesperson.
  2. Install, service, repair, etc., any hydrocarbon appliance other than an agricultural crop dryer. The use of small barn space heaters and tube heaters are common in the farming community. A G1 or G2 certificate is required to work on these.  
  3. Install a liquid propane pump or associated by-pass valve.
  4. Work on any part of the natural gas piping system that is before (upstream) of the gas meter.
  5. Work on any valve or fitting installed in a propane tank.
  6. Work on any part of a propane vaporizer that involves liquid propane.

When does my certificate need to be renewed?

It must be renewed every two years on your birthday. Be certain you notify TSSA of any address change, as they send a reminder notice when renewal time approaches. 

For further details, please visit the Fuels Safety program on TSSA’s website at or contact the Customer Contact Centre toll-free at 1-877-682-8772.

Why does it take so much time to train the properties of natural gas and propane?

The use and properties of natural gas and propane will require less than one day. 

The other major subjects and approximate time frames are listed below.

The program must be generic and cover key areas that the technician would normally be involved with while installing or servicing any agricultural crop dryer. 

Currently, this includes grain or tobacco dryers. 

Depending on the equipment that you service, you may receive training on subjects that will appear to be of little use to you. However, this program is for all types of crop dryers, and it will give you the opportunity to expand your area of expertise.  

  • Natural gas, propane vapour - 6 hours
  • Liquid propane, pumps and vaporizers – 3 hours
  • Fuels regulation including certification, Ontario Regulations, Natural Gas and Propane Installation Code, Propane Storage and Handling Code, CSA Standard 3.8-99 – 10 hours
  • Regulator and relief valve – 2 hours
  • Combustion and carbon monoxide – 4 hours
  • Valves, controls, flame safeties, pressure switches – 6 hours
  • Flame rectification and electrical troubleshooting – 20 hours
  • “Hands On” troubleshooting labs – 13 hours

More Information 

Briefly, what do the other certificates mean?

This is not a comprehensive review of all certificates. For specifics, refer to Regulation 215/01 under the Technical Standards & Safety Act, 2001. 

  • G1 - This certificate allows the holder to install service, etc., any natural gas or propane appliance regardless of input. They are not permitted to work with any piping/tubing or component that contains liquid propane. This requires an LP (liquid propane) endorsement.
  • G2 - This certificate allows the holder to install, service, etc., any natural gas or propane appliance whose input is not in excess of 400,000 B.T.U. As with the G1, they are not permitted to work with components in the liquid pumping system.
  • G3 - This certificate is meant to allow the holder to be a “helper” until he/she can take additional training and upgrade the G3 to a G2, DA or similar certificate. Provided the G3 has “signed-off demonstrated practical experience,” some functions can be performed on their own under the general supervision of a technician who holds the appropriate certificate as outlined in Reg. 215/01. Other functions must be performed under the direct supervision of an appropriate supervising certificate holder.  
  • Domestic Appliance (DA) – This certificate allows the holder to work on unvented residential appliances whose input is less than 100,000 B.T.U. (clothes dryer, range, barbecue, etc).
  • Records Of Training (ROT) – These are used and issued by the propane industry for individuals who perform functions that are not generally complex. Example; filling of propane cylinders. TSSA must review and accredit the training program, but they do not issue the ROT.

* NOTE: The certificate allows the holder to perform the functions listed (see Regulation 215/01 for details). The certificate is not proof of competency. Regardless of the certificate held by an individual, they are responsible for having the knowledge and skills necessary to safely and efficiently service the customer’s appliance or equipment per section 3 of the Natural Gas and Propane Installation Code (B149.1-00).

What about a certified electrician? 

A certified electrician is not allowed to install, alter, service, repair, etc., any hydrocarbon appliance/equipment. 

Should an electrician wish to work on a crop dryer whose input is in excess of 400,000 B.T.U.s, and he/she is the holder of a G3 (180-hour training program) or G2 (660-hour training program) certificate, he/she can work under the direct supervision of a certified technician who is the holder of a current G1 or CDT certificate. 

The certified technician must be at the job site and readily available for consultation. The supervising technician will be responsible for the work completed by the electrician.

An electrician may be very knowledgeable in electrical troubleshooting and the Electrical Code. However, he/she may not understand the operation, purpose or sequence of the controls, valves, switches, modules, motors, etc., of a hydrocarbon appliance and, therefore, may create or be subjected to a hazardous situation. 

What about consumers who service their own crop dryer? 

An end user/consumer or anyone else is not permitted to install/service their own crop dryer unless they are the holder of an appropriate certificate (G1, CDT). 

Not only would this be illegal, but it may also void their insurance. 

What about an individual who works under the certificate of someone else?

No one is allowed to install/service etc., a hydrocarbon appliance or equipment unless they are a holder of a certificate for that purpose. 

If their certificate (G3 or G2) does not meet the standard required for a crop dryer, they may work under the supervision of an individual who does hold the required certificate (G1 or CDT). 

The supervising certificate holder must be on-site and in close proximity to the trainee. 

What about people who continue to “work underground” without proper certification? 

There are technicians who have been working without a proper certificate for some time.  However, TSSA has increased their inspection staff and placed a renewed emphasis on compliance with the Regulations. 

This includes technicians who do not have the required certificate. 

Section 41 of the Technical Standards and Safety Act, 2000 states that the employer “Shall take every reasonable precaution to ensure that they and their agents and employees comply with this Act.” 

CEEDA strongly suggests that you register for the program immediately if you do not have a G1 certificate. By registering now you are demonstrating that you are taking “every reasonable precaution” to comply with the Act. A listing of all students who have registered will be submitted to TSSA.

  • A “Non-Conforming Hot Line” is being established between the CEEDA office and the Enforcement Section of TSSA. Certificate holders (CDT) will be encouraged to contact the CEEDA office if they are aware of any individuals installing/servicing crop dryers who do not have a G1 or CDT certificate. TSSA will take appropriate action.
  • The maximum fines for non-compliance are stated in section 37 of the Technical Standards and Safety Act, 2000. We have abbreviated some as follows:
    • Every person convicted of an offence is liable for a fine of not more than $50,000 and or imprisonment of not more than one year, or both. This also applies to a director or officer of a corporate body who has a duty to see that the Act is complied with. A corporate body convicted of an offence is liable to a fine of not more than $1,000,000. 

For further details, please visit the Fuels Safety program on TSSA’s website at or contact the Customer Contact Centre toll-free at 1-877-682-8772.